Heart of Gold Club
Become a member of The Heart of Gold Club and enjoy a host of activities, cheerful messages, inspirations and aspirations sure to stimulate learning and achievement.
The Heart of Gold Club is designed to grow the imagination and inspire a heart of kindness and giving. Each month we will feature a craft project, kindness challenge, fun recipe, free printable activity, and a downloadable journal page. Our goal is to bring the family together for quality time and also help build creative minds and strong characters within children.
Create keepsakes and cherished memories by joining the Heart of Gold Club! We want to encourage play-time and give kids the tools to develop a desire for giving and sharing with others. With our creative projects and challenges, we hope to inspire children to come up with their own creative ideas to give back and be kind to others.
With love & generosity we will live each day
May kindness be in every word we say
Whether we are young or old may we always have
A Heart of Gold
How It Works
Each month includes:
These projects are designed to get little hands moving and creating so that their imagination can come to life. Each month we will provide instructions on how to create a fun craft that may involve coloring, painting, upcycling, and much more! These projects are also meant to be shared! Whether creating it with a friend or turning it into a gift, our projects will encourage friendship and generosity.
Our tasty monthly recipe is designed to spark the five senses as the child creates something delicious:
- SEE the recipe and ingredients while learning about following instructions,
- TOUCH and feel the ingredients as they pour and stir up something yummy,
- SMELL the wonderful scent of sugar, spice, and everything nice,
- HEAR the timer buzz as they feel the joy of accomplishing a recipe,
- TASTE and enjoy the creation they have just made!
A call to action to discover new ways to be generous, kind, and excited about giving back. We have created simple and fun challenges for any child to accomplish and pay it forward.
The free printable journal page is designed to chronicle your child’s experiences in the Heart of Gold Club. Be sure to save your journal pages to look back and see the growth, creativity, and lessons learned throughout the year.
Scan and email your child’s monthly journal page to be entered to win our end-of-the-year grand prize! (one entry, per child, per month)
Submit your Journal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Play.Create.Grow.® reserves the right to use any journal submission on its website and social media pages.
Catch a Leprechaun!
Hello Heart of Gold members! It is March, and you know what that means… St. Patrick’s Day! Play.Create.Grow. can’t wait to see what tricks Lucky the Leprechaun is going to play. This month, we have the best craft that will not only be fun to make, but will help you catch a little bit of St. Patty’s Day magic. After creating your one-of-a-kind Leprechaun trap, find the perfect place to set it up on St. Patrick’s Day Eve. Do not forget to put out some leprechaun bait too. Remember, that leprechauns can be super tricky and are extremely difficult to catch-but maybe you will get lucky this St. Patrick’s Day!
- 1 – Recycled oatmeal container
- 2 – 12” x 18” green craft foam sheets
- 1 – 12” x 18” black craft foam sheet (3” x 18” piece)
- 1 – 4” x 4” piece of gold card stock
- 1 – Package St. Patrick’s Day stickers (stickers of choice)
- 1 – Recycled fruit cup
- Black acrylic paint and paint brush
- Hole Punch
- Pipe Cleaners: 1 black, 5 green, 1 orange, 1 yellow, 1 blue, and 1 purple
- Gold covered chocolate candies, gold sequins, and gold packing shred
- 6 – Cotton Balls
- Design Master Gold Glitter Spray
- Wrap 1 piece of green craft foam around oatmeal container and cut to size. Glue foam to Oatmeal container and let glue dry.
- Trace oatmeal container lid to other piece of green craft foam. Cut and glue to top of lid. Measure sides of lid and cut piece to fit around lid. Glue piece around lid and let dry. (Blue painters tape helps to hold pieces together while drying)
- To make your leprechaun trap, have an adult take a Xacto knife and make a 1 ½” x 1 ½” square cut to front side of lid leaving back side of square not cut.
- Cut a 10” circle with green craft foam (A 10” bowl helps with tracing a circle)
- Glue Oatmeal container to 10” circle.
- Punch two holes to a recycled cleaned and dried fruit cup. Paint cup with black acrylic paint. Let paint dry. Make a handle with 1 black pipe cleaner and cut to size. Glue pot to back side of trap.
- Make 2 holes to edge of lid between your pot. Make a rainbow using 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 blue and 1 purple pipe cleaner. Place ends of pipe cleaners thru holes to make your rainbow. Glue 3 cotton balls to bottom of each side of the rainbow.
- Glue gold shred inside pot and fill pot and top of lid with gold wrapped candies and gold sequins.
- Cut a 3” x 18” piece of craft foam and glue around bottom of oatmeal container.
- Cut a 4” piece of gold card stock with a 2” x 3” cut opening and glue to black foam to make a belt.
- Cut 3 green pipe cleaners and cut to 2 ½” in size. With cut pieces make a ladder with 2 long pieces of pipe cleaners.
- Decorate your leprechaun trap with stickers and spray leprechaun trap with Design Master Gold Glitter Spray.
Lucky Charms Treats
You will feel extra lucky with this delicious recipe! Get ready for St. Patrick’s day with these yummy Lucky Charm Clover Treats. Not only are they easy to make, but they are the perfect snack to bring to a party or to enjoy after school. Try using different shaped cookie cutters to make them extra fun!
- 6 cups Lucky Charms®. (Limited availability around St. Patrick’s Day for the all clover mix)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag of marshmallow’s
- Medium sized microwave safe bowl
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- Non- stick cooking spray
(You can also use the stove top in making your treats)
- To make Rice Krispie Treats® in the microwave, you’ll grab a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Add your butter to the bowl and cook in 30-second increments, stirring between each interval, until your butter is melted.
- Next, add your marshmallows to the bowl and mix them around coating them evenly with the butter. Now you place your bowl back in the microwave and cook in 45-second increments, stirring between each until your marshmallows are melted. This should take 3 – 4 times in the microwave for them to melt.
- Add your cereal into the bowl and mix until all the cereal is well coated. Finally, pour your treat mix into a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Press your cereal with your hands to spread the mixture evenly across the pan for uniform treats.
- Allow the Rice Krispie Treats® to cool completely and they’re ready to eat.
- You can also grab your favorite themed cookie cutter to make fun shapes from your new treat.
Oh, Lucky Day!
This month’s challenge will definitely put a smile on your face! Using the monthly recipe, whip up some of the delicious Lucky Charms® Treats and deliver them to your local fire station! What a great way to show kindness and say ‘thank you’ to your local firemen. Don’t forget to print out an extra recipe card so that your firemen friends can make them too!
Download the PDF below for some St. Patrick’s Day fun! This month, we have an awesome word scramble for you to figure out. Print one out for your friend and see who can unscramble the words fastest!
After you complete your challenge, be sure to download and print your September Journal Page! Write or draw how you completed your Kindness Challenge.
Don’t forget to have a grown-up help you scan or photograph your journal page and send it to:
This will enter you into our Heart of Gold Sweepstakes for your chance to win all sorts of fun prizes!