I know you all have extra water bottles lying around from all those sports that you do!
Now you can recycle them into a fabulous airplane!
This type of airplane is called an Air Tractor. This is one of the types of planes Crop Dusters use to safely spray crops like tomatoes and cotton so that they are protected from insects and plant diseases.
These are very popular planes in the Agriculture Aviation industry.
We are creating our Air Tractor Airplane using supplies and recycled items that you probably have already at home. No need to be bored!
Invite your friends over and everyone can create and
design their very own Recycled Water Bottle Airplane.
- 1 – 1 ¼” x 6 ½” paper tube (I recycled a wrapping paper roll and cut it to size)
- 1 – 1 ½” x 10 ½” and 1 – ¾” x 3 ½” piece of card stock. And 1 small piece of card stock to use for the propeller
- 1 – Recycle water bottle and 1 extra recycled plastic water cap for the cab of the airplane
- 2 – Recycled soda bottle caps used for wheels
- 1 – 3” piece of yellow pipe cleaner
- 6 – Pointed toothpicks
- 1 – Wooden skewer (7 ½” to size)
- 2 – Recycled popsicle sticks (Cut in Half)
- Yellow, black and silver acrylic paint, and a paint brush
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue
- Blue painters tape
Recycled Water Bottle Airplane
Trim the water bottle from top of bottle to 1 ½” in length. (May need help from parent)
Design a 1 ½” rudder on a small piece of cardstock and cut it to size.
Paint water bottle top, cap, tooth picks, skewer and cardstock pieces using yellow acrylic paint. Let it dry.
Paint bottle caps black and paint the 3 Popsicle sticks silver. Let them dry.
Paint black window strips on plastic water cap when yellow paint is dry. (You can also use a black magic marker to design the windows on your cab).
Use blue painters’ tape and place it around the end of the wings, around the rudder and along the sides of your airplane.
Refer to photo for guidance on how to assemble and glue all of the plane parts together.